I did promise to post a dessert recipe, didn’t I? Here it is. Afiyet olsun.
Maren’s Pineapple Coconut cake:
4 large eggs
1 11oz can coconut milk, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, slightly softened and cut up
8 oz crushed pineapple, mostly drained
Sour cream coconut frosting (see below)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a fluted tube pan (like a Bundt) or 2 9-inch layer pans.
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs, 1/2 cup coconut milk and vanilla with a fork. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on lowest speed, add butter chunks one at a time until it begins to clump together and looks sandy/pebbly, or mix butter in with cleans hands until it looks sandy.
3. Add half of egg mixture to dry ingredients and beat at low speed until incorporated, then at medium speed for 1 minute. Add remaining egg mixture and the pineapple. Beat 1 more minute.
4. Pour into pan(s). Bake layers for 20-25 minutes or Bundt for 50 minutes until cake springs back when touched. (Meanwhile, make frosting.) Cool completely on rack or plate. When cooled, prick with toothpick and pour remaining coconut milk over cake.
Sour Cream Coconut Frosting:
2 cups sour cream
2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
1. Mix and refrigerate while cake is baking.
2. Frost when cake is cooled.
(Frosting from “The Cake Mix Doctor”)